Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The NEW "Terrible Twos"

Terrible Twos
Phrase of terrible


     1.   informal
           a period in a child's early social development
           (typically around the age of two years) that is 
           associated with defiant or unruly behavior.
          

 This is really an outdated term. This term is from the 50s when women (of certain means) were shocked and appalled at the behavior of their toddlers. It was, to say the least, TERRIBLE!
I remember dreading and counting the months until the Terrible Twos were coming. When you are a new parent you fantasize and dream of all the wonderful beautiful days ahead. Like this:



And then reality hits and you get something more of this:




This phenomenon started for my daughter at 1.5 years and I thought it was a bit early for her to start the Terrible Twos but then again MY daughter is advanced. (HA)
But the Mommy Crew I had acquired took great pleasure in informing me that I hadn't seen nothing yet.
 "Terrible Twos... wait to you hit the threes. They are worse."

I was devastated at this news. No one has ever mentioned to me about the Threes. This was the first I was hearing about it. I just assumed that once the Terrible Twos were over (not that it would be smooth sailing but) things would move toward the positive NOT the worse.
What happens at 4 years old?
 I don't want to point out JUST the terrible aspects of being a toddler. Our babies can walk, talk, sing, comprehend and respond to the world in a way only a toddler can. It is a most rewarding and entertaining time. One thing I have seen in the fabulous 4 year olds is a much bigger vocabulary.


Funny how none of these parents seem to know where they heard these words from. Mysterious!

 
 

 
 
So, What's my point?
Basically if you were/are anything like me and you're banking on trying to hold your breath long enough to get through the Terrible Two, might as well exhale now because after the Terrible Twos are the "Three-nagers".
 
And if you're lucky you might get cussed out by your 4 year old and become and internet success.
Until we can come up with a better term to call this era of Toddler Teens, the New Terrible Twos is more of an age range than set age.
Hang in there parents and keep those cameras rolling...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment